Thursday 31 August 2017

Karela (Bitter Gourd) with Peanuts and Tamarind

We all have a relationship with this gourd. And mercifully, it's uncomplicated. We either love it or hate it - there's no middle path here! Thankfully, I belong to the karela fan club. I don't remember how and when I fell in love with this bitter version of gourd but I do have my Mom to thank, as she always made me eat whatever was cooked. I have a very fond memory of this sabji.

This gourd is considered very good for diabetes. So, add it to your table to keep diabetes at bay.

Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:

Bitter gourd - 4, peeled and cut in rounds
Peanuts - A handful, roasted and crushed
Tamarind - lemon sized ball, soaked and strained
Jaggery or sugar - 1 tablespoon or according to taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Spices - coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, 


Way to go:

1. Peel and cut bitter gourd in round pieces. You can mix the roundels with salt and leave for a while. Wash them thereafter.
2. Add oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When oil is warm, add jeera, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add bitter gourd. After 5 minutes, add salt, red chilly powder.
4. When it's almost done, add coriander powder.
5. Towards the end, add coarsely grounded peanuts. Add tamarind juice. Add jaggery or sugar.
6. Cover and let cook for a while. Eat with hot chapatis.







No comments:

Post a Comment