Friday 31 January 2014

Baingan-aloo ki sabzi/ Brinjal-potato curry

A classmate of mine once said "I like anything which is cooked well." I agree. There are people who have permanently crossed off brinjal from their shopping list. I feel they miss something. When cooked right, brinjal can be lip-smackingly delicious. I once ate a starter made of fried brinjal, tomato and onion. I could have made a whole meal out of that dish, had I not paid 500 bucks for the buffet. I made it a point to take the recipe from resort's chef but I haven't tried it yet. That recipe will have to wait but here is a simple recipe for regular sabzi. I like it as it is a very homely, no-fuss and delicious sabzi.

Ingredients:

Brinjal - 250 gms
Tomatoes - 1.5 medium
Potato - 1 medium
Onion- 1 small
Garlic cloves - 3-4
Oil - 2 tsp
Asafotida- a pinch
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/4 or 1/2 tsp 
Coriader powder - 2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Amla powder or amchoor powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1/4 tsp ( I used kitchen king)
Water- 1/4 cup

Way to go:

1. Dice brinjal, potatoes and tomatoes in medium-sized cubes. Onions and garlic to be chopped finer.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add asafoetida and then cumin seeds when the oil is warm enough.
3. Add onions, tomatoes, garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. 
4. Add diced brinjal and potatoes. 
5. Add all the spices except khatai and garam masala. Mix well.
6. Pour water, mix and close the lid.
7. After 2-3 whistles, remove from fire. When the cooker cools down, open and add khatai and garam masala. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, if you so wish.
8. Serve hot with chapatis. I guess it can go with rice too but being North Indians, I pair it with phulkas. 

Tips:

1. As curry leaves have many health benefits, my Mom keeps dried curry leaf powder in her spice box. You can make this powder easily by drying curry leaves in shade and powdering it. Add 1 tsp of this powder when you add all spices.
2. You can sprinkle flax-seed powder in the end too as it has many health benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment