Wednesday 20 July 2016

Mushroom Pasta

Pizza and pasta have taken tastebuds across the globe by storm. Our home is no exception. We all love to eat pizzas outside but I have gotten good at making mushroom pasta at home. Pasta cheers up little A anytime and is a good school lunch too. 

Ingredients:

For mushroom pasta:
1. Pasta - 200 gms
2. Button mushrooms - 300 gms
3. Bell Pepper - optional, 1 small, finely chopped
4. Onion - 1 medium
5. Garlic - 2 fat pods
6. Any other veggies like beans, carrots or spinach. All finely chopped.
7. Olive oil - 3 table spoons
8. Marinara sauce - 200 gms. I buy the ready, organic one. You can make your own sauce too by following the recipe given below.
9. Shredded cheese (mozarella) - 4 tablespoons
10. Fresh or dry herbs - oregano, basil

For pasta sauce (if you're making your own sauce): 
1. Ripe tomatoes - 10
2. Garlic - 1 pod, chopped finely

3. Fresh or dried Italian herbs - basil, oregano, thyme etc. 


Way to go:

How to make red pasta sauce:
1. Blanch tomatoes. Skin them when cool. Chop roughly.
2. Heat oil. When it gets warm, add chopped garlic. Add tomatoes. 
3. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add fresh or dried herbs.  

Mushroom pasta:
1. Choose pasta of your choice. I buy organic, whole wheat pasta. Boil it according to instructions on the packet, with salt and a little oil.
2. Wash mushrooms thoroughly and slice them. Chop bell peppers, garlic and other veggies finely. 
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic when oil gets warm. After 30 seconds, add onions. 
4. After a couple of minutes, add mushrooms. If you like, you can add bell pepper, beans and carrots. I am a big mushroom fan and love only mushrooms in my pasta. But if I run short of mushrooms, I add other veggies too. Add some herbs at this point too.
5. When mushrooms are done, add marinara sauce and herbs and simmer for 3-4 minutes. If you can find fresh herbs, especially basil, you can taste heaven! I add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to the pasta as the sauce is generally too tart for my taste. 
6. Add boiled pasta and cheese. I like to add chilly flakes to  my plate for that extra zest.
7. Serve piping hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment